According to the biblical legend, Noah, having descended from Mount Ararat, planted the first grapevine. This was how the winemaking tradition in Armenia became to grow. Recently, in a cave near the village of Areni, archaeologists have discovered the most ancient winery, which is more than 6000 years old.
The winemaking is flourishing in Armenia. The country has favorable conditions, volcanic soil, climate with hot summers and cold winters, which gives uniqueness to the grapes, high elevation mountains, indigenous grape varietals and a thousand-year experience of winemakers.
The current wine production in Armenia harmoniously combines this experience and traditions, as well as new high-tech processes.
In recent years, many new super-modern plants have appeared in Armenia.
We invite all wine lovers and connoisseurs of this noble and healthy beverage, to have a journey to the best wineries and small farmers, who prepare homemade wines.
Well, and what a wine without a feast.
Day 1: Yerevan
- Arrival to Yerevan, meeting at the airport, hotel accommodation
- After having short rest, we will drive wine bar to dine and taste wines
- Then we will have a walk through evening Yerevan
Day 2: Khor Virap – Noravank – Areni
- Breakfast in the hotel
- We will leave Yerevan early in the morning and drive to Khor Virap Monastery, located at the very foot of Mount Ararat. Khor Virap is the place where the first Catholicos of all Armenians, Gregory the Illuminator, spent many years in prison.
- Then we will drive to Noravank, one of the most beautiful churches of Armenia. It is surrounded by red vertical cliffs
- After we will drive to Areni, which is the center of viticulture of Armenia where we will have a delicious lunch at local people’s place
- Then we will visit a cave which is over 6,000 year old. During an expedition there have been found old anforas and a shoe
- Excursion in a winery and wine tasting
- After driving back to Yerevan
- Free time
Day 3: Saghmosavank – Hovhanavank – Amberd – Armenia Wine
- Traditional breakfast
- After we will take a trip to the direction of the mount Aragats, highest mountain in the territory of Armenia. On the way we will visit monasteries Hovhanavank and Saghmosavank, both are located on the edge of Kasakh canyon
- Then we will rise up to 3,000 m heights, where we will see the fortress Amberd. Then will continue to rise and once reached 3,300 meters, we will see the lake Kari Lich (Stone lake)
- After having substantial late lunch, it is time to try new Armenian wines. We will drive to Armenia Wine factory. Here we will taste 4 types of wines.
- Then we will drive back to Yerevan
Day 4: Sevan – Dilijan – Ijevan
- Traditional breakfast
- Driving to Sevan, the blue pearl of Armenia, where is located one of the ancient monasteries of Armenia, Sevanavank
- Then we will continue our road to Dilijan, green city, surrounded by dense forests and after having a walking tour through the old city, we will drive to monastery of Haghartsin.
- After we will try eastern cuisine in an Armenian restaurant
- Then we will continue our excursion and go to Ijevan. In Ijevan Wine factory we will try 8 types of wines, 2 of which are of 1977 and 1982 production. Then we’ll try a 20 year old Armenian cognac.
- We will return to Yerevan in a very good mood.
Day 5: Garni – Geghard – Zvartnots – Maran
- After having breakfast, we will drive to the village Garni. Here is located the most known monument from the times of paganism and Hellenism. Garni is dedicated to the god of the Sun, Mythra.
- Also, we will see the natural monument of the nature – Stone Symphony. The Symphony consists of vertical cliffs, having hexagonal basalt columns which have volcanic origin.
- After we will drive to the monastery Geghard, a unique architectural building, which is partially craved out of a rock.
- Then we will take part in baking of Armenian bread “lavash” as well as will prepare an Armenian barbeque in tonir
- After having lunch, we will visit the winery Maran, where we will taste red, white and fruit wines.
- On the way back to Yerevan we will stop near Zvartnots Cathedral, which was destroyed because of an earthquake
- Evening walk through Yerevan
Day 6: Yerevan
- Traditional breakfast
- We will have sightseeing tour to Yerevan: History Museum of Armenia, Museum of ancient manuscripts Matenadaran, as well as Erebuni, located on the hill of Arin-Berd. Here you will learn how old is Yerevan.
- Well, it is hard to imagine a wine tour without an Armenian cognac. We will visit Yerevan Brandy Company, where we will learn almost all secrets of Armenian cognac making. We will try most known cognacs of this brand.
- In the evening we will have an excursion to carpet producing factory, where we will have armenian dishes for the dinner
Day 7: Yerevan
- Visiting Vernisage, famous flea market
- Departure to airport
|Number of persons
|Price per person
The tour price includes:
- Meeting and Transfers Airport-Hotel-Airport
- Accommodation in 3* hotel with double occupancy
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- All these master classes and tastings
- Entrance tickets to the specified museums and factories
- Comfortable transport with driver for the whole route
- English speaking guide
The price does not include:
- Flight to Yerevan and back